Thursday, February 26, 2009

Social housing to cost $595,000 per unit It's now up to the mayor to deal with the costly dilemma - Vancouver Sun


Where's bankruptcy court? I want to get in line.

Not because I'm actually going broke. I'm just thinking it might be a way to move closer to Vancouver's downtown waterfront.

Yes, I'm musing about getting on the Olympic Athletes' Village social housing list. It's quite the deal.

A few days ago, I had a tour of the $1-billion Olympic village. Sadly, I'll never afford the $6-million penthouses. But the City of Vancouver's brain trust has managed to build us some of the slickest social housing on the planet.

As you may have heard, Vancouver's taxpayers now face a $110-million bill for 252 units of "affordable housing." That's $77 million over budget -- or about $436,000 a unit.

No comments: